Lately I was upgrading my VIDM 3.3.1 environment to VIDM 3.3.2 using vRealize Suite Lifecycle Manager (vRSLCM) 8.1 and encountered the following error message during the Inventory Sync (before upgrade):
I checked the credentials and they were valid. vRSLCM had the correct password for the root account. But I noticed I could not SSH into the VIDM Appliance using the ‘root’ account. It only worked for the ‘sshuser’ account. Clearly vRSLCM needed to be able to SSH into the VIDM Appliance using the ‘root’ account.
This is how I solved it:
- SSH into your VIDM Appliance using the ‘sshuser‘ account.
- Switch User to the ‘root‘ account using ‘su root‘ and provide the password for the ‘root‘ account:
- Now edit this file ‘/etc/ssh/sshd_config‘ with vim:
- Modify the line ‘PermitRootLogin‘ to ‘yes‘ as shown below:
- Restart the SSH Service:
- Now you should be able to SSH into the VIDM Appliance using root!
- This should also solve the Inventory Sync issue in vRSLCM:
Good luck! Hope it helps! 🙂